IBBETSON-CAYGILL COAT OF ARMS
Nobility existed in Wales from an ancient period well before Coats of Arms came into use. A Welshman’s status depended on his gentility of blood, in being descended from one of the ancient Prince-Chiefs, or lesser Chiefs, of one of the Welsh principalities. Heraldically the Welsh came under the jurisdiction of the English College of Arms in London, but in former days it was the practice for an English Herald when making a Visitation which took in part of Wales to appoint a Welsh deputy. Lewis Dwnn was probably the most celebrated of these and the pedigrees recorded by him in his Visitations are generally considered to be accurate.
In present-day Wales many towns, counties, institutions and people seek grants of arms. More important than these manifestations, however, is the fact that the Principality of Wales was granted an Heraldic badge over 200 years ago. The design for the Royal Badge is the Red Dragon of Wales, and by decree of Her Majesty the Queen in the Privy Council of 11 March 1953, this Badge was enclosed in a scroll carrying the words “ Y ddraig goch ddyry gychwyn “ (The Welsh dragon gives the lead) in green lettering on a white background and surmounted by a royal crown. This new royal badge is used on all Governmental publications relating to Wales, and on letterhead of Government departments in Wales.